Tuesday 6 December 2011

A Final Farewell

It is shocking to think that the end of the semester is coming quickly and ALES 204 will come to a close. At the start of the semester I was skeptical about that class being that we had to join twitter and create a blog. I am not the best with technology so my thoughts were based off nerves. As the course continued we were able to learn more ways of presenting personal information on the internet in a professional way. It was not just a matter of posting tweets about the lectures at hand which made it more enjoyable and useful.

ALES 204 took us through many exercises that taught us how to use social media's in a productive way. I was not on twitter before this class because I already had Facebook and I did not see why you needed more than one form of social media connecting you to people. I didn't know that twitter was a different form of social media and connected you to so many different people. On twitter I am following comedians, actors, singers and researchers. In one feed I can hear the thoughts of dominant researchers or a recent joke; the broad spectrum of people makes it exciting to look through your feed everyday. Also creating this blog was something I had never planned on doing. As I said before I am not great when it comes to technology so to create a blog made me nervous about how the final product would turn out. We also were asked to use Facebook in a way that I did not ever think of, in a resume form. We were asked to create Facebook resumes and through them we made the connection between personal and professional social media. Jayden, created a Facebook page that presented herself in a very positive light for future employers. Julianna, also made an awesome Facebook resume and shared the same feelings as I when starting the assignment!

In ALES we were able to learn how to use different social media's to express thoughts and opinions or to bring up discussion between fellow bloggers. We were asked to expand and Wikipedia article which was difficult because we had to produce relevant, reliable information for other users of the internet. Ashlea, created a Wikipedia article that was reliable and also had a very appealing blog post that made the article even more attractive. In one of our first labs we were asked to make Pecha Kucha presentations which at the start, I had no idea what that entailed. Julie, shared the same views on being nervous going into the lab but the exercise made a difference in our public speaking.  We also got the oppurtunity to learn how to upload photo's using flickr and attaching papers, internet articles we thought interesting. Brianne, posted a very interesting photo that could have struck up a conversation between bloggers easily and create the constant communication that social media's emphasize.

ALES 204 have me a  new outlook on social media and the many uses for them. I was able to learn a large amount about computers and the internet that I neglected before because I didn't think technology could change much about proffessional aspects of life. I was proven wrong. I am sad to see this semester come to an end because I have enjoyed my classes greatly! I am nervous and excited to start finals but now how twitter to distract me when needed!

Here is a final farewell to my ALES 204 class, best of luck on all your future studies!

No comments:

Post a Comment